Friday, March 11, 2011

snow and earthquakes

So we had > 2" of wet, gloppy snow overnight. Lovely this morning, but I was so annoyed by the whole idea, I didn't exactly take any photos...And indeed, by the time I left to drive in to town (Lex.) at noon-ish, most of it had not surprisingly melted, on account of the temperature and the earlier grount temp, etc....

And then there's the gigando earthquake in Japan, with its accompanying tsunami, after-effects all over the place, etc., etc...gotta comment here. I remember (YES, I do indeed) reading about plate tectonics in the Readers' Digest which we got at home every month, while I was in h.s. I thought this stuff called plate tectonics was the best thing since sliced bread...got out maps, etc., and started fitting together these continents and sub-continents. And this has all been in my lifetime. I think it's serious, VERY cool. The earthquake in Japan isn't, but the whole concept is, folks. In the early 60's, it was seriously revolutionary. And all you had to do was put together edges of continents on a couple of maps, and ta-da! hey it's obvious...

on other fronts, it's Lent (albeit very late), and the first official day of spring is very soon. It has been a rather tiresome winter, though. Maybe spring, summer and fall this year will cooperate, and be GORGEOUS. Have actually planted some herbs; maybe I'll manage to actually do something other than kill them...

cheers, lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment