Thursday, June 9, 2011

Whatever

At least, it looks like it will probably rain in Paris, KY. What with the heat wave, and the unusually wet spring that kept farmers from planting things when they usually do, and what happened last year (unusually wet spring, delayed planting, followed by seriously hot, dry weather, followed by seriously bad harvest), it has appeared recently that we were facing the same rotten situation this year. I do get worried when it's as hot in central Kentucky in June as it is in Goliad. Sorry about harping on that.

Problems at the market today. Need to post a couple of photos before I upload this..or upload a couple of photos before I post this, whatever...so it is sorta chaos in the Thursday Lalinde market, and we didn't manage to buy any oysters last Sunday in Issigeac (sob...). I decided to get oysters in Lalinde (different folks, not as good, etc., etc.); bought a dozen oysters, which should actually be at least 13 (!), and the yobs who were selling the stupid things were having trouble with my change (e.g., a dozen cost 6,40 euros and I gave them a 10 euro note,
they couldn't cope, I gave them 40 centimes and they gave me back two 2 euro coins...) Somehow, I got home, unloaded the stuff and, guess what! NO OYSTERS! Folks, they were DINNER TONIGHT...I did manage to buy some more walnut oil from my favorite walnut oil lady, the (dare I say it?) crone sitting at the table in the photo on the left there. She raises the walnuts, shells them makes the oil, jam, etc., raises the chickens and sells the eggs (80 centimes for 3 eggs, maybe it was 90, that's almost a euro). The guy with the hat and beard standing by her table is always wandering around Lalinde, ALWAYS at her table on market days.

Given that there sort of isn't any other food in the fridge, I had to go back shopping this afternoon, which means going down that ****** hill, acquiring something for dinner (Phil wants curry, not that big an ordeal, once I'm in a supermarket, although try finding some chutney in Lalinde, and I am NOT driving to Bergerac just for chutney), coming back and climbing back up that ****** hill. Had I know my knees were going to do this, I would have thought several more times about buying the cottage...but I do love the new kitchen...and maybe the chicken curry will actually be decent...

as a post-script, the chicken curry was tolerable, but not exactly a "10", shall we say. It was okay, though, considering...

Cheers, Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment