Tuesday, July 5, 2011

St. Paul, take two

I just realized I sorta said nothing, NOTHING negative about St. Paul. It is indeed "Picture-perfect". Everything is perfect. It doesn't look like anyone lives there, although I guess there must be people living there. No vehicles are allowed in the village "sauf riverains", which I some time ago finally figured out means "except residents". There seem to be only two restaurants in the village, maybe three, lots and LOTS of shops selling art as well as the usual stuff to tourists. And then there are the visitors; as well as people wandering around aimlessly up the hill, there are literally hordes of tours. Many, many groups of "seniors" being herded around by British and American tour guides, walking backward on that curvy cobble-stone road up the hill, talking to the group. The whole experience was rather artificial, even though I wasn't (!!!) with one of the groups.

But I'm glad I went.

Cheers, Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment