Thursday, July 21, 2011

random thoughts

We go back to the US next Thursday, and it's HOT and HUMID in KY. Might as well live in Houston, the way the last couple of summers have been. This time of year it's supposed to be hot and dry here, but it's been weird, a few hot days and now it's chilly and damp; feels rather like England does much of the time. Evidently it's REALLY chilly and damp in England right now, though, with highs in the teens (Centigrade) and lows around 7 (about 40). This year in this part of France will probably be a lousy year for wine.

Went to the market in Lalinde this morning. My vegetable man tried to sell me some more plums; I still haven't done anything with the ones he sold me last week. He said I was to wait six days, and it's been seven. Maybe I'll go buy some jars and make some Mirabelle jam this afternoon.

Evelyn, Olaf and Johannes Korn arrive tomorrow; still need to clean the downstairs and put sheets on the bed.

My lovely little red Sony camera seems to be moribund. Dropped it too many times. It appears that the only problem is that the front cover is loose, but sometimes I can't turn it on or can't turn it off, and when it's on, I sometimes can't get the picture taking button to work. Guess I'm going to have to replace it; I hate breaking in a new camera, though. This little thing has served me well, though; how many years? and THOUSANDS of pictures.

I seem to have forgotten to write about that other really good place we ate near Grasse, La Belle Cerise or something like that, in a village up on a hill called Fayence. All these ancient villages seem to be up on hills; this town had basically one street that wound up the hill. Have to find the photos...

Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment