Friday, May 6, 2011

new HVAC, etc. and other things

So I decided I CANNOT spend another winter in this house in Central Kentucky without a better heating system. Given that our current heat pump is on its last legs and that the propane boiler heating system is, shall we say, not exactly energy efficient (want to know how much we've been spending on propane lately? send me an email...), I made what could dbe called an "editorial" decision to install a geothermal system. We're all hoping and assuming it will be a serious improvement, on a number of fronts.

So they have been out here drilling wells, tearing out fences, drilling holes in the walls in the cellars, and generally blocking the drive with all sorts of large trucks for more than a week now. And then....

we got a call yesterday evening from George who said that there was a problem...I assumed it was something bad (when George phones and says there's a problem, it's usually not good news). He allowed as how perhaps I needed Phil to be on the phone, too, but then insisted it wasn't bad news...and I said, hey, have they found a skeleton somewhere, and he said well, yes...

So the guys had dug out underneath the porch, and unearthed some bones, including a "skull"...They needed to bring in the coroner...but when Phil and I wend down to the cellar and looked at the bones, even I recognized the skull as an animal skull (!); Phil declared it to be a dog skull...

When the coroner came today, she confirmed that the bones are animal bones (rats!), but delivered an edict to the guys doing the work. If they find ANY bones, they are to leave them alone, and phone the coroner asap. So there.

It was exciting, though, and more interesting than my pneumonia, as well as the damage I did to my face when I fell last Saturday. And I will be able to read better when I get my new glasses as I am using an old pair at the moment. Reading is, shall we say, a challenge....

Cheers, Lillie

1 comment:

  1. Of course. Anyone else digging up their yard/basement would find normal debris. Oh. I suppose you could say bones are normal.

    ReplyDelete