Saturday, February 26, 2011

various things

So it's still too bloody cold in Kentucky...notwithstanding the wretched rain we got the other night...Martin thought we were about to have a tornado...

And there was evidently flooding on Millersburg Road, and there was a sign on the road the morning after the storm warning of high water...and Stoner Creek is way high...

The good news is that Miguel has fixed the fence on the big pasture, so we can get calves. He (and his lovely wife Tara) are going to stay out here this summer, and will take care of the farm, aside from the mowing, etc. that Martin does.

On other fronts, it's hitting me that this BMW I bought from Chauncey is going to be expensive to own. And I sold Daddy's Buick last Thursday, and am going to get to use the proceeds to pay the propane bill. aargh. what a wretched use for the money from the sale of a CAR...

We still have a fleet out there: the Miata is 19 years old; the Volvo is 17; the Mazda truck is only 7, but I think it has about 150K miles on it and currently it won't start. Martin's 2011 Ford Fiesta seems a LOT like those little cars they've been driving in Europe for YEARS...



1 comment:

  1. Cold weather and lots of rain. Okay, maybe this once, I don't envy your northern life. ;)

    Calves? Awesome. Would they be your cattle, or are you basically renting the land out to the cattle owner? (I'll leave aside the question of whether they are for food or not. I can think of a lot of things to do with a side of beef.)

    And while it's anticlimactic to use the car sale proceeds for the propane bill, given the winter you just survived, I'd say it was a noble end.

    I can't remember, but I do think the Fiesta is (or at least is based on) a body style Ford sold in the UK/Europe for a while now. Funny, now that gas is so expensive, there are more fuel-efficient subcompacts out there than Hummer monstrosities...

    ReplyDelete